- You have already learned how to solve simple equations like . These can be solved in one step.
- The equations like or would need more than one step to solve.
- The two-step equations can be solved using inverse operations.
- If there is a parenthesis, use the distributive property to get rid of it.
- Combine all like terms after using the distributive property.
- Use inverse operations to isolate the variables, if needed.
- Finally, eliminate the constant or variable term from one side of the equation.
Add 10 to both sides (addition property of equality).
Divide both sides by 2 (division property of equality).
Use the distributive property.
Subtract 8 from both sides (subtraction property of equality).
Divide both sides by 4 (division property of equality).
- Get rid of the parenthesis first, if any.
- If you have to perform any operation like adding a term, subtracting a term, multiplying, or dividing, perform the same operation on the other side.
- Whatever you do to one side of the equation, do the same to the other side of the question.
- Pay close attention to the signs while using the distributive property.
- Pay close attention to the signs while doing inverse operations.